Trying to be as honest as I can. . .

Welcome. . . explore as you'd like.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Here's the secret to changing the world...

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. -James 4:13-14

The world map hanging on the wall behind me that my roommate (Joshua Erickson) helps drive this point further home. As much as my flesh may try and convince my mind that I am great, rich, powerful, influential...the simple fact is that I am alive in a world with a population of about 6 billion. In a given day, I may interact with maximum, 100 of these people. That is roughly .000000016% of the world's population. If I continue to interact with 100 people per day for the next 50 years, that is 1,825,000 people. Now we are at about .000304% of the world's population.

Now, this is a fairly essential point, and I want to put it into perspective, or at least make a vague attempt to do so. I have a hard time grasping what exactly .000304% means. Just how small is that? Well, if I continue with the theory that I will live to the age of 71, that is:

25,915 days

621,960 hours

37,317,600 minutes

2,239,056,000 seconds

I hope James had a good abacus...

That's how much time lapses between my first breath and last- if I live to be 71.

So let's take that figure of .000304%. If I were to only live that portion of my life, I will live 6309 seconds. That's 105 minutes, 1.75 hours, or almost one sixth of one day..... WOW. .000304% seems like no big deal at all now.

Keep in mind folks- this is on a timetable of 71 years. What about God- who is eternal. If I am so insignificant on my own scale- then what about an ETERNAL timeframe?

Truly, I am nothing.

So what do I do with this knowledge? Do I give up? Become apathetic because in the grand scheme of things I do not matter? Really, what's the point of even trying to do something great, to mass great achievements, or to even try and build a home or family? My estate has no value- it really is all just a vapor in the wind. I should just quit now, because what impact could I have?

Certainly not! I believe that there is a great positive in this statement. I don't think that James meant for us to become downtrodden and bedraggled. I think that there is a great humbling that come with this realization, and who couldn't do with a nice fat slice of humble pie every now and then? Rather- just think- can you think of 1 hour and 45 minutes of your life that were life changing? I know I can! I can think of several!

What if we did it this way? What if I impacted my .000304% to the best of my ability? What if you impacted yours? Together, that's 3,650,000. And- what if each and every one of the 3,650,000 people that we meet and impact go further and impact their own set of 1,825,000? Now you and I together have reached 6,661,250,000,000 people. I'll do the math again for you, friend. That means that you and I have managed to change the world and will continue to have an impact for the next 1,110 years. Over one millennium. That means that if we were alive in the year 900- our impact would have stopped only 13 days ago.

So no- I don't think that James meant for us to get down and out about this...I think that it is empowering! Look at one mist in the wind can do. Of course, the entire chapter before this is about submitting to God. So rather a better assessment would be- look at what one mist submitted to God can do.

I would very much like to hear your thoughts about this.

3 comments:

  1. nathan.

    Our deceiving consumeristic culture says there is a line. A line that exists in our imagination. A line that proudly proclaims, "When you reach me, you will be happy."

    My line is a job/internship/school. For another, a husband/wife. Yet another, millions in the bank.

    Problem being, the line doesn't exist.

    Jesus said that I have to loose my life in order to gain it.

    -May your mist and mine be one that submits to God's will instead of the line.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That means that if we were alive in the year 900- our impact would have stopped only 13 days ago." Unbelievable. The thought of this is absolutely mind blowing.

    I once heard eternity described like this: Imagine the sun. (You can fit 960,000 earths inside of the sun.) Now imagine the su as a steel ball and you are on this giant steel ball with a knife scraping away at it. And when you are done scraping away this ENTIRE giant steel sun ball, that is just the beginning of eternity.

    But just because eternity is so long. . .forever. . .does not mean that what we do now doesn't matter. Jesus came to save the world for NOW. For this time. He would not have come to earth and died if this time didn't matter. Eternity is spent in once place or the other, and the place is determined here on earth--right now. In this time.

    Who we impact and how much time we promote to that does matter. If it didn't, then why the hell are we here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathan,
    Just read your entry...were you at chapel the first day when Dave Pedde spoke? He talked about numbering our days. On that day there were 113 days until graduation for us seniors. Since then I've been using Firefox to countdown days and as of today have 55 left... if I even life til then!
    Wow! What a challenge to honor and glorify God with every moment! :D
    That said...better get back to my homework! :P
    Amy

    ReplyDelete