Trying to be as honest as I can. . .

Welcome. . . explore as you'd like.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Rest

Well ladies and gentlemen...this is the topic of the day today...rest.

I must say, that this is something that I don't do enough. I like to go and do things. It does not matter what it is, I just like to do. Strengthfinders, a popular personality inventory, puts it like this:

Your Achiever theme helps explain you drive. Achiever describes a constant need for achievement. You feel as if every day starts at zero. By the end of the day you must achieve something tangible in order to feel good about yourself. And by "everyday" you mean every single day- workdays, weekends, vacations. No matter how much you feel you deserve a day of rest, if the day passes without some fore of achievement, no matter how small, you will feel dissatisfied. You have an internal fire burning inside of you. It pushes you to do more, to achieve more. After each accomplishment is reached, the fire dwindles for a moment, but very soon it rekindles itself, forcing you toward the next accomplishment. Your relentless need for achievement might not be logical. It might not even be focused. But it will always be with you. As an Achiever you must learn to live with you this whisper of discontent. It does have its benefits. It brings you the energy you need to work long hours without burning out. It is the jolt you can always count on to get you started on new tasks, new challenges. It is the power supply that causes you to set the pace and define the levels of productivity for your work group. It is the theme that keeps you moving.

I have always been driven, and it wasn't until about a year or so ago that I finally saw the downfall to that. But my first job- Jamba Juice- I was the youngest manager in the history of our district. I've been with DirectBuy for 5 years and have held almost every position there. In leadership circles, I am always found in the Director or similar spot. I have never settled for entry level. If I have, it has been only an inconvenient but necessary step to a higher role.

I think that only true Achievers can fully understand this. But it becomes this: Your value and self-worth is wrapped up in how much you can Achieve. You don't want to slow down, because if you stop producing, you stop being of value, and who wants that? So to stop doing things to take time out to rest seems very counter-intuitive, especially if said individual is a self-preserving, isolated person.

Yesterday, I took a day out to rest. It was one of the rare times in my life when I was actually exhausted enough to admit it to myself. That is a rarity. I slept in, drank tea, had some conversation with people, went to dinner, and went back to bed. I think I was awake for a total of 8 hours. Of course, it felt great and my body loved me for letting it stop for a day. I feel rested, and ready to achieve again.

My question is this- Is resting for resting's sake the goal? Or is resting as an investment to be a more efficient achiever ok? If someone's motive to rest is only as a "stepping stone" to higher levels, is that still rest? Let's get thinking friends.

2 comments:

  1. But-was the intention of the rest to build up energy to achieve more? Because to me it seems like you were really just tired and needed rest. So you rested. Your motives for rest seemed pure. You didn't rest because you knew that you could help more families if you slept more because you know full well you can help them with or without rest.

    I believe the goal is resting for resting's sake. You're still human. Your body is not indestructible, and you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.... apparently you are taking this "rest" idea so far you've decided posting anything new requires too much energy ;)

    ReplyDelete